Mid-Sem Break (or lack thereof)

Well it was the mid-sem break again last week; thought it would be the same deal as last semester you know? Relax, go out and have fun, have a chill from uni work for the week. But I guess this time round it was different. From doing all those extra things this semester I’ve finally begun to fall behind on quite a lot of work, and hence my mid-sem break was devoted to trying to catch up on work, and trying to go ahead like I did last semester. It was a bit of a dismal failure because after the week I was and still am behind in work; and well I guess I’ll just have to somehow pull through from this point on. Nevertheless I did have fun on several occasions – probably should’ve traded a few of those in so that I could’ve gotten more of my work done.


Wednesday – Soccer

On Wednesday Jacky finally managed to organise a practice session for our indoor team along with some of his other NSB friends. We met up at Eastwood at like 10am?!?! Quite early if you ask me; in fact not many people did come that early so the four of us who were there were just mucking around really. Eventually as the day dragged on, more people showed up and we finally had a small game going on and stuff. Shame half the field was being reconstructed, so we didn’t have the full field, nor the two goals.


Several times throughout the day, there was this small dog – have no idea who it belongs to – but anyway it kind of jumped into the middle of our warm-ups, penalty shootouts and stuff. It was quite annoying, because it was barking in very excited way and chasing the ball ferociously. It would race for the all, jump all over it, slobber all over it, etc. I felt a bit sorry for Jacky because it was his ball, and new at that fact. But we did use the dog in our practice; just keeping the ball away from it. It was quite funny playing piggy in the middle with the dog, although at times we didn’t pay much care in the dog and kicked the ball at it a few times – didn’t discourage the dog from chasing the ball I don’t know why. A couple of times we were afraid that we might kick the dog instead because it was always so close to the ball, and hence gave rise to the risk of kicking the ball into the dog. It was still funny though.


Other than that, the guys who were doing construction near us had to cover the field with fertiliser so we had to clear off for a couple of minutes. We didn’t want to walk away too far, so we took our spots just outside of the field; but unfortunately not all of us were far away enough and unfortunately were swept in a mist of airborne fertiliser – smelt bad obviously, but to be catch in a mist of it is just horrible.


It was interesting playing with these people. They were competitive and downgrading in their language, but in an encouraging way; I guess that’s hard to describe, it’s a guy thing. But the atmosphere was good, everyone had some good laughs and soccer went generally well; we played until perhaps 1-2pm, where we all went to Cafe de Macau to have lunch. I tried to convince them not to go, but they weren’t comfortable with eating anywhere else…sigh.


Thursday – CBS Social

Charlie helped us organise another CBS Commerce social the next day; it was a really packed day as well and perhaps my main worry for the day was money. But then I didn’t stay for the entire social, had stupid tutoring to get back to at night so yeah. The morning started off with us meeting at Central Station, which already proved to be troublesome as some people slept in, missed the train and thus held everyone up haha. Charlie made heaps of phone calls to find out where the missing people were.


Eventually when it hit some time after 11am we all moved off to go to the fish markets. My first time going there ever; and I haven’t caught the tram in ages. I guess we were all really lively and social at the time so when we boarded the tram we were all very talkative and stuff; the typical social environment you’d expect. Some of the other passengers weren’t very appreciative of our noise levels, started yelling at us to be quiet and to show respect for other people. I wonder why people like them tick me off. Yeah I guess we were being noisy, but in the stead of what? Silence? And honestly, we weren’t bothering the person complaining, nor disturbing them in anyway that involved noise; unless we disrupted her thoughts – although if one cannot tolerate the noise of youth then one’s thoughts aren’t really that important.


The fish markets was swarmed by both people and sea gulls. I love the smell of fish, and yes I know there was a lot of seafood everywhere. We were to have lunch here; I guess that was Charlie’s plans. Me, Ronnie, Andy, Angelina, Charlie and Justin ordered a seafood platter for 4 – Ronnie said it was so massive that 4 people couldn’t possibly finish it; he was right. But for $69.90 it was quite massive and had everything: battered fish, prawns, octopus, oysters, chips, etc. We ordered extra raw oysters as well; those are pretty nice with lemon juice! Nat’s table (or just Nat really) was complaining about the seagulls attacking them and their food – those cheeky birds. There were watching all of us very carefully; but then our table never got attacked once. They only tried to get Andy once as he was bringing the food back to the table.


After lunch we walked all the way back to Big Echo to go karaoke. Ellen joined us at that point because she slept in, and Lin-Lee ditched us to go elsewhere. We had a huge group for karaoke, around the mid twenties, so we got two huge rooms. Interesting to see how many other people were Asian enough to sing Chinese songs. Me, Ellen and someone else did a few Jap songs, out of the dismal number they have in their database. And finally, no-one could do Korean haha! Although this video sort of says otherwise:


Halfway through karaoke, some people started playing Crabbs(?) because there was a lot of dice lying in one of our rooms; so a few people decided to start gambling on it, using jugs of ice haha! Not that bad of a challenge yeah. At the end of our 3-hour session Andy had a ploy to put a jug of ice down Ronnie’s back side. This was the result:


I had to leave right after that due to work; but afterwards everyone went off to dinner at Pepper Lunch (dinner?) and then later to Steph’s house. But nonetheless it was already a long day, and an expensive one at the point haha!


So that brings about a close to my mid-sem break. I know it was only two days but yeah that’s probably more than enough to create more procrastination in me for the other days.


5 thoughts on “Mid-Sem Break (or lack thereof)

  1. Oiii, what happened to the first vid? XD I want to see people sing Korean. Yeah, Big Echo kind of sucks in that they have a whole bunch of Chinese songs and lacks so much in other areas i.e., Korean songs XDDD

  2. lolx Shaz guess what? I saw SJ’s Sorry Sorry

  3. Haha, I saw it too xD. But I didn’t sing it ‘cos it didn’t have romanisation. I attempted ‘It’s you’ though. ‘Twas fun! ❤

  4. Oh yeah, you might want to fix the timezone thing. It’s totally behind by 10 hours 😮

  5. lolx I’m gonna memorize the romanized lyrics for next time; of just practice heaps at the Korean alphabet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s